I didn’t know about Huineng before Melody Jie introduced me to Sixth Patriarch. I watched a movie on his life but that could not be reason for me to respect him as master. I came to read his thoughts, his way of seeing everything, and then I must surrender myself to the enlightened master. Here are some of his words in English I have collected from Google.
1. There is no Bodhi tree,
Nor stand of a mirror bright.
Since all is void,
Where can the dust alight
2. A finger points at the moon, but the moon is not at the tip of the finger.
3. The capacity of the mind is broad and huge, like the vast sky. Do not sit with a mind fixed on emptiness. If you do, you will fall into a neutral kind of emptiness. Emptiness includes the sun, moon, stars, and planets, the great earth, mountains and rivers, all trees and grasses, bad people and good people, bad things and good things, heaven and hell; they are all in the midst of emptiness. The emptiness of human nature is also like this.
4. The truth is to be lived, not just mouthed.
5. As one lamp serves to dispel a thousand years of darkness, so one flash of wisdom destroys ten thousand years of ignorance.
6. Truth has nothing to do with words. Truth can be likened to the bright moon in the sky. Words, in this case, can be likened to a finger. The finger can point to the moon’s location. However, the finger is not the moon. To look at the moon, it is necessary to gaze beyond the finger, right?
7. The meaning of life is to see.
8. Zazen is seated meditation-the opposite of contemplation-the emptying of the mind of all thoughts in order simply to be. In the midst of all evil, not a thought is aroused in the mind-this is called za. Seeing into one’s Self-nature, not being moved at all-this is called Zen.
9. Sit all together in meditation. Become peacefully calm and quiet, without motion, without stillness, without birth, without destruction, without coming or going, with no judgments of right or wrong, neither staying nor going. This, then, is the Great Way.
10. The secret is within your self.
11. The complete teachings of all Buddhas – past, present, and future – are to be found within the essence of every human being.
12. Before you think good or evil, who are you?
13. Because wisdom is innate, we can all enlighten ourselves.